Spring Lesson: The Rigorous Bunny
Use this Cadbury Bunny Tryouts commercial to practice making inferences about authors' message or viewpoint.
First, view the video without any questions. Then, replay the video and ask the questions below. It's important to let students discuss their answers with peers and see other's viewpoints.
Before Second Viewing Questions:
- Why are commercials produced?
- What does the title Cadbury Bunny Tryouts make you think of?
During Viewing Questions: (stop the video at the midpoint)
- What do you notice?
- How is the author appealing to the audience?
- How do you feel while watching this video?
- What does the creator of the video do to make you feel this way?
After Viewing Questions:
- What is the main message of this commercial?
- What does the author want the viewer to do as a result of seeing the commercial?
- How does the author illustrate the message?
- What connections can be made between other media or texts?
Teaching the thinking processes with videos before text helps students practice the steps for thinking at the analyzing or knowledge utilization level without the burden of also decoding words. We want student to develop the steps needed in the mental process of the higher order thinking skill before having to apply the thinking in complex texts. Teach the thinking process first!
Be sure to check out our YouTube channel for more links to videos that let students practice the higher level thinking.