Rounding Up the Rhyme Activity (Cunningham)
Thanksgiving Texts to Use:
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
10 Fat Turkeys
T is For Turkey
Rounding Up the Rhymes (Cunningham)
Select a text that contains rhymes to reread.
- Round up the rhymes by asking the children identify words that rhyme. Write the rhyming words on index cards and put them in a pocket chart.
- Underline the spelling pattern in each word.
- Discard any rhyming words which do not follow the spelling pattern. (example: heard, bird)
- Use these words to read some other words. Write a word that rhymes and has the same spelling pattern as one of the rounded up pairs. Ask children to put it with the words that have the same spelling. THEN, read all three words together.
- Continue step 5 for other words.
- Complete the activity by having students attempt to spell some words using the patterns.
Like this activity? Join us at one of our From Phonics to Fluency Workshops this fall to learn more about increasing students phonics knowledge and fluency this year! Click here to learn more!