ELAR Resources for Elementary Teachers
Looking for texts for elementary-age readers? Check out these free (or almost free) websites for engaging, content-rich texts. There's no reason to read boring texts!
- Rich pictures with question prompts for quick writes. https://www.nytimes.com/column/learning-picture-promptArticles, related pictures, videos, and questions http://wonderopolis.org/
- News for K-5 students from the Smithsonian https://www.tweentribune.com/
- Engaging content, cross-curricular, standards-aligned reading resources https://newsela.com/
- Poet Ken Nesbitt's website includes poems and lessons. https://www.poetry4kids.com/
- Texts for building background knowledge and practicing comprehension strategies. https://www.readworks.org/
- Reading A-Z offers online texts for K-5 students on https://www.raz-kids.com/.
- EPIC-Free online library for K-12 teachers and students. Parent accounts are not free. www.getepic.com