Enrichment Learning Day
As the entire world is told to stay inside and be together with our immediate family, there are so many positive opportunities to give kids love and experiences. I once heard my pastor say that "Kids spell love, T. I. M. E." It is our prayer that this is a TRUE statement and looked at by all as a GIFT of time to be with our children.
As we have sheltered in place here, I have found some great activities to keep my boys' little minds and bodies busy. Many are simple daily activities that we do and consider to be "adult things". Now, my kids (6 & 3 years old) are doing them right alongside me.
We have been
- Baking two days a week
- Planting a vegetable graden
- Jumping on the trampoline
- Playing board games at night as a family
- Eating dinner together
- And much more!
Enrichment is "Making something more meaningful, substantial or rewarding."
As I spend time with my own children at home, I've been thinking about how to make this new normal work for all of us. What if we focused on instruction for four days of the week and dedicated one day to enrichment activities?
Enrichment is defined by the dictionary as "Making something more meaningful, substantial or rewarding." Enrichment in this case would be about life. Enrichment could be tasks that teach you about real life things and how to enjoy the world around you. It would be a continuation and extension of learning. This could help create a more "well-rounded" society.
Here are some enrichment ideas for your learners.
- Put on a sock Puppet Show
- Make Slime
- Play Freeze Dance
- Have an Egg and Spoon Race
- Learn the Continents Song
- Read Aloud to a Stuffed Animal
Make a Marble Run (DIY)
Look through old pictures with family
Play a card game
Build an obstacle course
Bake a sweet treat in the kitchen (with an adult’s help)
Camp out in the backyard
Write a poem to a grandparent
- Create a Meme using Kapwing
- Mow the lawn
- Plant a garden
- Create a workout routine and exercise!
- Build a monthly budget
- Plan the next family vacation using Trip Advisor
- Write a Yelp review for a local restaurant
- Watch Youtube videos about a career you would like to have
- Grab a good book and read outside
- Make up and video a dance routine
- Bake a new treat in the kitchen
- Research a topic of interest using Wonderopolis